Curly, Coiled, & Confused?
Six Tips for the Natural Hair Bride
by Sonia Castleberry
Listen up Curly Brides! If you want your hair to look amazing on your wedding day, maintenance and preparation is key! Here are six vital steps that you should follow to make sure your hair is looking its absolute best for your Big Day!
1. Have a bridal hair consultation at least three months in advance with your chosen hairstylist. During this time try out several different styles and choose the one that best fits you and your personality. Take into consideration your style of dress, facial structure, and climate.
2. Schedule a hair trim appointment three weeks prior to the date. This will help to minimize breakage by ensuring your hair is free of split ends.
3. Limit your heat usage! Excessive heat can lead to hair damage over time, which can permanently damage your natural curl pattern. If you must use heat always make sure you are applying a heat protectant first. TRESemmé Thermal Creations Heat Tamer Spray guards against heat and friction to keep your hair shiny and incredibly soft.
4. Begin a deep conditioning treatment regimen ASAP! Once a week you should apply an all-natural conditioner to your hair and allow it to sit for 15 minutes. This process helps to rejuvenate your hair from the weather elements and manipulation. TRESemmé Naturals Nourishing Conditioner is lightweight, silicone free, and uses natural ingredients to hydrate your hair.
5. Make sure you are drinking plenty of water and using water-based products! This will keep your hair well hydrated and moisturized.
6. Protect your curls at night by wearing a silk or satin bonnet. If you aren’t the bonnet type opt out and purchase a silk or satin pillowcase.
Source: Hair: Adunni Easton Photography: Michael Clark
Beauty Contributor & Expert: Sonia Castleberry www.bridesbysoniacastleberry.com | www.soniacastleberry.com
Sonia Castleberry is the Senior Beauty Editor for World Bride Magazine. She’s a licensed third generation hairstylist that’s well recognized throughout the television, film, and fashion industries. Her passion for hair and all things beauty began at an early age growing up in her family’s hair salon. Her work has appeared in several publications both nationally and internationally. Her industry knowledge and work ethic has garnered her opportunities to contribute to major broadcasting networks, brands as well as feature films. She is the owner of Brides by Sonia Castleberry, a luxury on location bridal agency that brings the salon to you on your wedding day, and Wink Eye Cotoure, a mobile lash and brow bar. In her spare time, she enjoys traveling with her son. Sonia currently resides in New York City.