If you’re a man who uses aftershave and cologne, pairing the two is really important. You don’t want to smell like you just threw on every scented products. You especially don’t want the two products to clash, producing an overpowering and, possibly, unpleasant smell. It is important to make sure that the two scents complement each other. However, sometimes finding two that do pair well can be a difficult task. At World Bride Magazine, we have used our noses to compile a list of aftershave and cologne that will make you smell irresistible.
- Kohana Unscented Post Shave Moisturizer, $37 at BarberryCoast.com. By using an unscented after shave you are free to use whatever cologne you want without having to worry if the scents clash.
- Pair your Terre d’Hermès Aftershave Lotion or Balm, $73 at Nordstrom.com, with Terre d’Hermès Pure Perfume, $226. Terre d’Hermès has notes of orange, gunflint, geranium leaves and Atlas cedar wood.
- L’Homme Yves Saint Laurent Aftershave Lotion, $48 at Nordstrom.com, has floral, spicy and woody notes. This aftershave’s soft, woodsy musk will pair nicely with the sweet floral and spicy wood scent of Gucci Pour Homme, $88 at SaksFifthAvenue.com.
- Wear Giorgio Armani Acqua di Gio Aftershave Lotion, $51 at Macys.com, with the Giorgio Armani Acqua di Gio Eau de Toilette Pour Homme, $66. Acqua di Gio has notes of neroli and green tangerine with jasmine petal, crisp rock rose and Indonesian patchouli.
- Bvlgari Man Aftershave Balm, $46 at Macys.com, has a balance of juniper berries, sandalwood, cedar and galanga. Match this aftershave with Men’s Spice and Wood Creed, $710 at Neiman Marcus. The similar wood and berry/fruit influencers will pair nicely. The aftershave is lighter and won’t take away from the cologne’s scent, instead it partners well and enhances the fragrance.
Whether it be your wedding day, or any other day, try out some of the paired products above for an alluring aroma. Mix and match some of your own pairings by comparing your choice of aftershave with key notes in colognes.
Lexy Cummins is a senior at Kent State University in Ohio, majoring in magazine journalism and minoring in fashion media. She has strong interests in fashion, beauty and music. After graduation she hopes to write for a women’s or fashion magazine.
She is also an Ohio State licensed cosmetologist and plans to continue her beauty education in makeup application.