The temperatures are cooler, the festivities are gearing up, presents being wrapped and perhaps a scent of cinnamon and holiday cheer is in the air. The holiday season is the busiest season for marriage proposals, with December having the highest proposal rate taking the (wedding) cake at 19%.
As you’re planning for your own proposal, here’s a quick and thorough guide to selecting the perfect engagement ring to pop the question with a piece that will last an eternity of love and wonderment.
What To Spend On A Ring
While I am one to believe in investing in a piece that the beholder will cherish for a lifetime, I also believe in not breaking the bank just to pick the biggest rock on the block. Remember, the ring itself is a token of love, not the actual love itself. A personal financing tip: spend what you have without putting yourself into debt, and before getting married, have in depth conversations about finances prior. This will help you both have an equal understanding of money, expenses, your personal financial status, debts, and spending habits prior to tying the knot.
How To Shop For a Ring
In additional to price, there are quite a few factors that determine how you’ll shop for a ring. Here’s a list of questions to help you started:
- In additional to price, there are quite a few factors that determine how you’ll shop for a ring. Here’s a list of questions to help you started:
- Order online, or head to a store?
- Go with a name brand store, or a certified jeweler?
- What kind of stone are you seeking, diamond, gemstone, or simply a band?
- What size of a stone are you looking for? (the Four C’s, cut, color, clarity and carat weight)
- What kind of metal? (gold, rose, or white gold; platinum)
- What shape of stone are you seeking? (round, princess, cushion, oval, emerald, pear, marquise)
Making The Purchase
Being married twice, there’s a thing or two I’ve learned being on the receiving side of a ring to add as a bonus.
- Ensure the ring you’re purchasing also fits the lifestyle of your bride to be. If the bride is constantly using her hands and having a huge, princess cut with a prong setting and sharp edges will just have her taking the ring off, then it’s not super functional for her lifestyle.
- Get the ring from a certified jeweler that ensures it comes with a valid certificate.
- Last but not least, ensure she either loves surprises, you know her taste to a tee or she’s given you some hints of exactly what she’d want. Rings lose their value almost instantly off the floor and it’d be a pricey return.
Cheers to the most wonderful time of the (engagement season) year!
Sara Quiriconi is an actress, model, host, writer, producer and entrepreneur. As a cancer survivor, and resilient soul overcoming various health challenges early on, she’s an advocate of being a creator, not a victim, to create your own reality. Sara’s mission in life is to story-tell, impact and inspire with a legacy of empowerment that last far beyond her years.
Founder of Live Free Media, LLC. (conscious-driven creative and storytelling media with an expertise in travel, web3 and wellthy living), author of Living Cancer Free, and host of the motivational Never Settle Podcast, Sara truly is a dynamic character across many creative fields and a warrior of light.